The following farms have animals available for sacrifice. The cost will be between $2.00-$2.50 per live pound. Expect to pay between $150 to $200 for a younger lamb and closer to $250 for an older lamb or sheep. All cutting knives for slaughtering and cleaning the animal should be brought with you.
The following farm will have many lambs about 8-9 months as well as an indoor slaughter facility. There are also goat and cows, but they may not be old enough for the sacrifice.
- Witmer’s Live Animal Market – 6146 Broadway Rd, Auburn, NY 13021 – No need to reserve ahead of time but for questions contact Lamar at (315) 246-1154.
Pictures of animals can be found here:
For the following farms, please call ahead:
- Farm with about 10 lamb at least 6 months – 1184 Slaterville Rd, Dryden, NY – Contact Hicham for reservation at (607) 339-7979.
- Farm with 3-4 rams (male sheep) almost 2 years old – Ellis Hollow Farm, 832 Ringwood Rd, Ithaca, NY – Call Nancy (607) 539-7902 or text (607) 351-0113
- Farm with 2 ewes (female sheep) about 16 months old – 4041 County Route 2, Burdett, NY 14818 – Contact Jeromy (607) 351-6772 at least 3-4 days in advance
Note about ages of animals
When sacrificing an animal for udhiyah, there are certain conditions that must be met. One of the conditions is that the animal must be a certain age, which is six months for a sheep and the age at which the animal is considered to be an adult for any other animal, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Do not sacrifice anything but an adult animal, unless it is difficult for you, in which case you may slaughter a six-month old lamb (jadh’ah).” Narrated by Muslim.
A mature animal means one that is considered to be an adult:
- In the case of camels it means one that is five years old.
- For cattle, it means one that is two years old.
- For goat and sheep it means one that is a year old.
While it may be permissible to sacrifice a six-month old lamb, some scholars mention that the size of the lamb should be like that of the one year old sheep.
So it is not correct to sacrifice a camel, cow or goat that has not yet reached maturity, or a sheep that is less than six months old.